The Moxibustion Table—Ancient Natural Therapy, Modernized
In case you're not familiar with this ancient wonder-treatment, here's a really quick introduction to moxibustion. Traditionally, moxibustion is the burning of dried plant material called moxa, on or near the surface of the skin to facilitate healing by warming and stimulating meridian points. The moxa is usually made of Chinese mugwort (artemesia vulgaris), but can be made of (or with) other herbs as well. Several methods of moxibustion exist with different forms of moxa to accommodate them.
|Moxa comes in different forms for different applications, from the moxa wool (upper-right) to various sticks and compositions.
Moxibustion therapy is very versatile and has been used for thousands of years throughout Asia to:
- Treat pain: It penetrates deeply to the affected area to provide relief.
- To strengthen the smooth flow of qi and blood: Another function of moxibustion is to induce qi and blood to flow upward or downward. This helps conditions such as prolapse of the anus, prolapse of the uterus, prolonged diarrhea, etc.
- Warm meridians and expel cold: It warms the qi to help relieve conditions caused by stagnant qi and blood.
- Coughs and other respiratory problems: Since our coughs are much more prevalent in the winter, i.e. during the cold, moxa is really effective in moving the qi and stagnation in the lungs to clear up the nagging, hacking coughs.
- Digestive symptoms: Since the heat from the Moxa stimulates the digestive system, it is effective in helping with constipation, IBS, and digestion in general.
- Menstrual cramps: Moxa is really effective in relieving menstrual cramps and irregular cycles. Many common activities can cause cold to become trapped in the uterus, like wearing shorts or skirts in cooler weather. Moxa can reverse these effects.
- Prevent disease and maintain general health: It can also be used preventatively to keep your immune system functioning effectively to stave off seasonal allergies and future illness.
- Much more: Moxibustion is used to treat many other conditions, and is even used to help turn breach babies when applied to a certain point.
Introducing the T-33A Moxibustion Table
The T-33A moxibustion table (also called a fumigation bed) takes traditional moxibustion therapy into the modern age! It utilizes indirect treatment via a heat process to impart the benefits of moxibustion in a relaxing, comfortable manner. With all the top cushions in place, the T-33A also doubles as a full body massage table with face hole. Open up the slatted wood cabinet doors to reveal a large storage compartment underneath.
There are many benefits to using moxibustion tables for treatments which include:
- Increase effectiveness with Infrared therapy. Infrared therapy LEDs are embedded throughout the lower panel and work in tandem with the moxibustion treatment to promote circulation and detoxification. IR therapy is an effective treatment for conditions of pain and inflammation, and promotes the positive effects of moxibustion.
- Lay down and relax! Traditional treatments require someone else to administer the treatment or holding the moxa yourself. With the moxibustion bed, you’re able to completely relax your muscles and mind as you receive treatment. The bed does it all for you!
- Adjustable area-specific energy levels. The moxibustion bed allows you to set different power levels for different areas of your body. Convenient if one part of your body needs increased treatment intensity over another.
- No burn—no smoke! For those that are averse to the smoke created by the traditional burning moxa, the moxibustion bed is especially wonderful as it eliminates that aspect of treatment. Because the bed uses heat extraction to draw out the medicinal essence of the moxa, the moxa never burns, and thus, no smoke.
- Use with different moxa and formulas to target different conditions. Each of the moxa boxes can be filled with different moxa, if desired, to customize treatment. The moxa wool from A&A Medical Supplies, Inc. are always of the highest quality, very effective with a pleasant aroma!
|Moxa boxes on the heating plates with near-infrared therapy LEDs turned on (left). The wired controller is able to adjust power for specific sections (right).|
To use, prepare the moxibustion bed:
- Remove the cushion and wood panels to access the moxa boxes.
- Add moxa into the moxa boxes. You can choose to add to all or select boxes depending on your treatment area.
- Replace lids and place the moxa boxes on the heating plates.
- Place the wooden panel back on and lay a cloth over it. You’re now ready to use it.
|The three levels of the T-33A Moxibustion Table. It facilitates moxibustion therapy, as well as infrared therapy and full body massage. Top layer: cushion for massage. Middle layer: wood panel for treatment. Bottom layer: to access the moxa boxes.|
- Lay down on the bed with your head on the head rest.
- Press the power button and the infrared lights will turn on.
- When you’re ready to start the moxibustion treatment, press the power button again and the heating plates will begin to heat the moxa. This heating process is what will extract the medicinal essence from the moxa, allowing it to be absorbed into your body.
- You can adjust the power level on each zone according to your needs by pressing the zone buttons.
Each serving of moxa will last a few sessions. Just hold the moxa up to your nose to smell it. If there is no more scent, then it is time to replace it. With proper care and use, you can look forward to years of wonderful, beneficial treatment with the T-33A Moxibustion bed!